Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Viva Nepal.

Today, as we do almost every Tuesday and Thursday, we started the day off with a high-school assembly.  After a devotion by the art teacher about the story of her getting married, a blurb about change in our lives, and announcing her pregnancy to the kids (go Guenthers!), one of the Nepali students got up on stage.  The Nepali students are possibly the most patriotic students we have at our school, with the Bhutanese right behind them.  Wait, you've never met a Nepali or Bhutanese person before?  What's that?  Where's Bhutan?  Never mind.  

The Nepali girl described how eight years ago today almost the entire Nepali royal family was killed by one of the princes.  It's an engaging true story, so if you haven't heard about it... hear about it.  The video that followed was a tribute to the royal family comprised of a bunch of pictures and videos set to a Nepali rock song.  What?  You don't know Nepali rock music?  Whysoever not?

Anyways, after it was over, the Nepali flag went up on the screen and the national anthem started.  Instantly, every Nepali student sprung to their feet.  I noticed a few other students do so as well.  I watched one of my colleagues, an Indian Christian woman who I knew would be doing what I should be doing.  As I saw her rise to her feet, so did I.  Within seconds, the entire student body was on its feet.  It wasn't about politics- most of our Nepali students are Royalists, in the minority in Nepal.  Most citizens of other countries just don't care.  It wasn't about national identity- students and staff from all over the world were standing.  It was just a moment of solidarity.  Standing with those young people whose country has been suffering and unstable for eight years.  I wouldn't normally stand for a national anthem from a country I've never been to.  I don't even stand for the American national anthem that often.  But, I stood, I realized, because I like my Nepali students and wanted to support them.  

This place, and especially the students, seem to be winning me over.

1 comment:

  1. It's awesome to hear about a teacher who loves his students. The world needs more of them. Kudos my friend!

    ReplyDelete