Thursday, July 23, 2009

What I did on my summer vacation

Good things about my vacation:

  • I ate really good Japanese food in Nepal.
  • I rode an elephant.
  • I read/finished reading the following books:  The White Tiger (worth a read), The Satanic Verses (very well written), The History of the World in 10 1/2 chapters (some parts were better than others) and The Children of Men (the movie was better)
  • I learned a few more Hindi/Nepalese words
  • I got to knock another country off my list
  • I had a baby elephant's trunk feeling my hand for food and I squealed with delight (imagine this scene)
  • I saw a lot of cool pagodas
  • I saw a "living goddess"- a 4-year old girl who has that title until she loses an adult tooth or menstruates.  Yup.
  • I got to see one of my students in his home town.
  • I saw some traditional Nepali dances
  • I saw a procession of coolies in training.  Maybe the most fun memory.
  • I got my kitchen fully set up and baked, roasted, broiled and cooked to my heart's content.
  • I made hashed browns for the first time.
  • I lied about having symptoms of swine flu to the Indian health people (what- I had a fever for a day in Nepal.  I don't have swine flu, dangit!)
  • I am rested and relaxed and ready for the school year to start next week!

1 comment:

  1. Greg, I am proud of you for writing "hashed browns" instead of "hash browns."

    ReplyDelete