Monday, August 10, 2009

Wisdom

School started this past Wednesday, about two weeks earlier than I was ready for. Everything is going fairly well so far. I now teach 9th grade RE (same as last semester), 10 grade RE (general Western philosophy and the philosophy of religion), Old Testament Survey, and 10th grade world history. All around, pretty fun.

So far, having only seen each of my minor classes twice, I'd say my favorite is the 10th grade class.

Today in class, we talked briefly about what they take for granted and how they find out what is real and true. When I asked how they know tectonic plates cause earthquakes, one student confidently said, "textbooks." It got me thinking, and, being my style, I thought aloud, that for these students, the textbook is everything. Their lives depend on them knowing what the textbooks say in all their classes and being able to vomit that information on their APs, SATs, ACTs, and IGCSEs. We followed it up with talking about how we use our senses and reason to figure out many things, but the idea of textbooks stuck with me. How much do I believe based on textbooks, or what a teacher said, or what I read on some blurb online? I certainly know that I have said things wrong in class, and I've seen some poorly written textbooks...

I stick with Socrates' saying: "Wisest is he who knows he knows not." Or, the similar proverb: "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom." I don't think that would fly if I said it in my class to a question I don't know how to answer, but... I'll still sick with ol' So-crates.

No comments:

Post a Comment