Friday, April 16, 2010

1st post since January!

Wow, it's been a long time. As many writers know, one can only really write when so motivated. I haven't been up until now. This semester, my schedule is as follows:
9th grade RE (world religions)
10th grade RE (philosophy)
11th grade RE (Intro to Christianity)
10th grade world history
11/12th grade Indian history

So much stuff! It's been fun teaching about such a huge variety of things. Once every 8 school days, I teach all five classes. One day I taught about topics like early Indian nationalism, circumcision, atonement, Aristotle, and Evita (the person, not the musical). Such a variety! But, next year should be easier. Assuming it doesn't change, the plan for next year is that I'll be teaching all of grade 9 RE, all of US history, my Intro to Christianity class 1st semester and philosophy second semester. Only 3 classes to prep for instead of 5. Sooo nice...

As one may imagine, this semester has been long and tiring, but eventful. I got to go to Italy for MUN, marking my first visit to Europe. I enjoyed it (although I will say that taking care of 10 high schoolers takes quite a bit of the magic out of Italy), but I don't think I'll go back. It's marked off my list and I'd rather go visit other places.

I'm also getting ready to say goodbye to some people who I care about- some of my coworkers and students. Last year, I didn't really care about the seniors; part of this was because I didn't get to know them, part of this was because getting to know people during the second semester of their senior year is not the best time to do so. Being so isolated on a hillside like this, we become family. The students are an odd mix of younger siblings and sons/daughters, while coworkers become brothers, sisters, aunties, uncles, and parental figures.

But, why start writing again now? One main reason: I am inspired. The source of this inspiration? I like to think I have this in common with the great Urdu poet of the court of the Mughals, Mirza Ghalib...

We both love mangoes. No joke, I ate one of the first mangoes of the season and I wanted to blog. I wish I could follow the mango around the world, it is so delicious. The way the skin gives way to the knife, the slight trickle of juice that runs down the outside to my hand, the sound of the flesh tearing away as the pit gives way... I love it all.

Go and find a good mango and eat it. If you can't find a good mango, pity yourself for you are missing out on one of the most enjoyable things God has created on this earth.

I'll try to be more regular in blogging, or I will for as long as my fruit supply keeps up.

2 comments:

  1. I think you are one of my funniest friends.

    I love mangos too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you and Bethany have such a knack for writing.

    ReplyDelete