Friday, May 1, 2009

Spring has sprung

... and love is in the air.

Pretty much everyone under the age of 20 has noticed that with the warmer weather, comes more public displays of affection here at Woodstock.  I don't know if that's the best word to describe them, though.  They are IN public, but the kids would be horrified and offended if you call them on it.  Ask the teacher that decided to take a picture of a couple making out, much to the horror of the students involved (it was deleted).  They ARE displays, but with the word display, I think of manequins in a store window.  It's the word affection that I especially don't care for.  How many of these students are REALLY in love and truly have affection for each other.  So, my term that I'm sure won't catch on:  Public and oblivious showings of codependancy and/or saliva exchange, or PAOSOCADSE.  In Spanish, this is a reflexive verb meaning "to be codependant and/or swap spit."
Watch the dipthong.

Besides the average temperature of teenage bodies, other things are heating up around here as well.  The lack of rain, dead leaves, and winds have teamed up to create forest fires.  The hills have been in a perpetual state of haze from the smoke, and a few nights ago, I looked out to see that pretty much every hill surrounding us was on fire.  There was even a fire on the Woodstock hillside yesterday, not a 10 minute walk from my house.  Let's hope nothing gets worse!  Monsoon is just around the corner, from what I hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment