Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Shopping List

I just hired an ayah, or maid.  She comes recommended by another staff member who says she just does her job well and can cook decent Hindustani food.  I've learned a few things from my Ayah Quest.  (if anyone wants to come up with some kind of graphic for "Ayah Quest," please do)

First, I've learned the caste system is still alive and well.  Some ayahs won't clean bathrooms because unless they're not in the lowest caste, it's beneath them.  My ayah must be in that lowest caste because she says she'll do it all.  Christians or ayahs of non-Hindu religions will do it all as well.  

Second, I've learned how well off I am here.  My ayah is getting paid Rs 900 a month, working 3 days a week.  In USD, that's around $18.  Before you hop on a flight, come to the school, and beat me down (please do, I'd love a visitor), you should know that's about the going rate.  Now, I get paid about Rs 25000 a month, after taxes and all that jazz.  If you put that in USD, it's not much.  But, despite being a lowly, inexperienced, non-head of department, non-major class teacher, I'm sitting rather pretty.  My only expenses are food and recreation.  I got a bunch of tomatoes, potatoes, beans, garlic, ginger, and eggplant for Rs 50, or $1 the other day, and recreation is cheap since I don't do anything.

Third, I've realized I know little to nothing about cooking Indian food.  My little experiments back home with curry paste were tasty, but a very Western approach to a complicated style of food.  My ayah, while picking up the key to my house, dropped off a shopping list so she can cook what she knows (and I can eat what she knows).  Among the things I have no clue about:  Dal (malka), Moong Dal, cabuli chane, garam masala, kitchen king masala, and coriander powder.  Coriander is a powder?  Shut up!  

I feel a little like Marge Simpson when she discovered oregano...

2 comments:

  1. Brother.. hearing about your time in India does NOT make it any easier being stuck in the States. It has been awesome hearing about how things are going for you, and I love the regular updates.. take care bud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg, I love your blog. You never fail to make me laugh. And I'm way jealous right now....can you start talking about some of the unglamorous parts of moving halfway around the world? Or I might join you.

    ReplyDelete